The art of invisible strength


That quote, "The art of invisible strength," comes form Amy Tan's novel The Joy Luck Club. During her talk at the library the other night she shared with us the real (based on the chinese characters) meaning behind the seemingly profound statement, and because I loved the original meaning and the way it had evolved, I asked her to write it for me, using the chinese characters. Well, she doesn't know the chinese characters so she wrote it for me in english :) Does anyone reading this know the chinese version?

The real meaning (and I'm paraphrasing here) is more about farting (wind) and only by default about 'a strategy for winning arguments and gaining respect from others in games.'

One of the coolest things about the evening at the library, besides chatting with Amy Tan's husband Lou and her editor Molly Giles, Amy signing my book, and getting a little puppy-sugar from Liliput, was being introduced by Molly to Laura Grey, the leader of an upcoming writer's workshop at the library.

The workshop starts in January, and fills up quickly. Laura said I should just come anyway, even if it gets filled, she was very laid back about it. I like to write, and this blog is one of the places I try out my storytelling skills. But like many creative endeavours, writing is something I would like to learn more about, maybe try some new things.

There is also a writer's workshop coming up for 'young writers' and my son will get signed up for that one!
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Well, right now it's quiet in the house. The boys took off to the woods and I stayed here to catch up on some things around the house, and savour the peace and quiet :) I think I will take advantage of this time.

Maybe I'll read a while!!

You can read more about Amy Tan on her website.

Comments

Popular Posts